DIY update: Living Room
We have decorated one room in our house to a liveable standard, and I couldn’t be happier.
It isn’t ‘finished’ as such, it needs plastering properly and all sorts but in under a week we made it liveable and it cost us nothing.
To be really honest, I don’t think we undertook the extent of building work in this house when we bought it. It was already the top end of our budget without any extra cash for works (we have barely managed to pay for the central heating to be put in from leftover mortgage money). We thought we’d have this easy, bohemian lifestyle where we lived in one room and it’d all just work out…
And then reality hit that we both kind of work from home, I need to take pictures for a job and no heating, hot water and no room to actually sit down in might cause a bit of disturbance.
So we got to it.
Obviously we had all our old furniture, so we picked a room that needed least maintenance (not too much pipe disturbance, no damp, solid walls) and started there. We pulled up the carpet, sanded the floors (we borrowed a sander from my dad but you can hire them), filled in holes, pulled out an existing cupboard from the chimney alcove and painted and painted and painted.
Paint wise, we used bog standard Brilliant White wall paint on the walls and then dark undercoat on the floor before using the rest of the leftover tin of Farrow & Ball ‘Downpipe’ floor paint from our last flat.
We haven’t picked the new fireplace tiles yet…still a work in progress.
It’s not the finished article but for now (and the next few years at least), it’ll do.
For more DIY updates in The Frugality House click here.