I’m a lot more convinced of the benefits of a good summer beauty product than I used to be. On holiday I feel relaxed, myself and my best. I show off my freckles, I wear my favourite summer clothes and I have long showers, actually spending time getting ready for the evening out – I even take those thick socks with me to wear after I moisturise! Here are a few products I’ve been trying, want to try or discovered I can’t live without:
1. THE SELF TAN. Capital Soleil self tan, £11.90, Vichy. I don’t like to cane it in the sun as I shouldn’t have done (but sadly did) in my youth. Instead, I like to top up my tan with this bottle of cheat mix. This is great value, leaves a glowing tan and I can use on my face without breaking out in spots.
2. THE NAIL COLOUR. ‘Smashing!’ nail lacquer, £15, Butter London. Free from formaldehyde but long-lasting, Butter’s bright orange is perfect for a pop of colour to make you feel the holiday vibes (even if you’re in rainy England).
3. THE FOOT CREAM. ‘Foot patrol’ cream, £19, Bliss at Very Exclusive. Dead skin is removed whilst your feet feel all tingly from the peppermint scent, I love Bliss products and this is one of my favourites (some of you will have found some of their products in my Fenwick goodie bags).
4. THE CREAM BLUSH. Beach stick in ‘Las Salinas’, £30, Charlotte Tilbury. I like to keep a natural glow on holiday and cream blushers tend to keep a nice sheen to my face. I can’t wait to try this from Charlotte Tilbury (the products I’ve tried already are incredible).
5. THE BEACHY HAIR SPRAY. Thickening dry spun finish spray, £21.50, Bumble & Bumble. I tend to use this rather than surf spray, as I love the dry texture it leaves.
6. THE EYELINER. ‘Pailettes’ sparkle eye pencil, £9, Lord & Berry at Very Exclusive. I started wearing this last week and have had so many compliments, not as harsh as solid black the sparkle on this leaves a kind of smokey look. And it’s a great price, too.
7. THE TOENAIL COLOUR. ‘Cobalt blue’, £4.25, Mavala. I wore this to my Fenwick event and everyone loved it, it is almost identical to the YSL ‘Majorelle Bleu’ one, which I love, and it looks best on toes with a tan.
8. THE BRONZER. Radiance baked body bronzer, £42.50, Laura Mercier. Yes, it is expensive but it lasts forever. I don’t actually think I’ve bought a new one in at least 3 years…Use it all over the body, shoulders, cheekbones, décolletage. The most useful bit of advice I was ever given (by a Beauty Editor) is to dust bronzer on your face in a figure of 3…starting on the side of the forehead (if that makes sense).
9. THE LIP COLOUR. ‘Morange’ lipstick, £15.50, MAC. I have always been more of a coral lip colour fan than red, and this one looks best with a tan.
10. THE CONDITIONER. After sun hair treatment mask, £21, Aveda. My hair is already dry from bleach and straightening, so on holiday I like to do a bit of damage limitation. I also relish the chance to leave it on in the bath for an extra 5 minutes.
11. THE MASCARA. No smudge mascara, £19.50, Bobbi Brown. My greasy, oily holiday skin needs something that won’t budge on the beach. This is it.
12. THE SUNCREAM. SPF 30+, £8.95, Le Tan. I’m not going to lie here, I just love its retro packaging.
13. THE EYE CREAM. Anti-fatigue smoothing eye gel, £29, Darphin. I love all Darphin products and their eye gel is something I’ve only just discovered I need. The perfect antidote to a long day on the beach.